Friday, April 22, 2011

Cats that are poptarts and say 'nyan', Earth Day, and someone's birthday.

Recently I've been posting and tweeting some very cryptic messages about super secret projects and I'm sure you've all been wondering what the hell I was talking about. As you know from previous posts, I have recently fallen back in love with cross stitch, a craft I was forced to learn during my days of Girl Scout incarceration. Back in my youth I found the process to be tedious and boring but as I grew a bit older I found it actually relaxed me but I would easily lose interest in the pieces I was stitching. I don't know, I guess I could never find a chart or kit that kept me interested long enough to finish; until I saw what the folks over at Steotch were doing. I couldn't believe it. Cross stitch samplers that were witty and meme-filled. And so began my long, dark re-descent into the craft. I started of by buying all of the patterns Steotch put out in their Etsy store. I was hard at work at recreating one of their samplers when I got a Facebook message from a friend linking me to a certain trending Youtube video.
About 30 seconds into the video I was searching my basket for blue aida and color-matching embroidery floss. Five days of nothing but work and stitching later; I bring you the finished project, and my first ever completed cross stitch sampler.
Nyan Cat Sampler. My tribute to the internet.

The sampler isn't perfect. I probably overdid it on the sparkles and stars, and could have placed my Order & Chaos signature elsewhere and planned it to fit easily within a spare frame I have but it is my first ever design and I was working without a pattern. I really don't think it turned out half bad though. I had a bit of help from Jennifer's Free Cross Stitch Pattern Generator and used the cross stitchified Arial font from http://www.subversivecrossstitch.com/. Eventually I will be selling this piece in our Etsy shop.

Now that that is out of the way, I can focus on other cross stitch projects I've been neglecting like the large number of samplers I'll be making as gifts for friends and the few commissions I have, not to mention more cross stitch (and non) merch for the shop.

In other news, today is a very special day. IT IS EARTH DAY! Yey!!! Everyone go hug a tree and bitch at someone for littering and other Earth-friendly crap! Seriously, though; this is one of my favorite days of the year. 

Oh, and it is also my birthday. As of 42 minutes ago I am officially 23 years old. I guess that means it is time for me to grow up and stop spending my time looking up stupid stuff on the internet. Yeah, that's so gonna happen. XD

Well, I'm off to deal with the mass amounts of texts and Facebook comments I am getting. Toodles!

XOXO,
Coco.

2 comments:

  1. I love this I'm going to make one for myself super kawaii!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi do u still have the pattern to this?? if so would there be any way of me getting a copy?? i will be willing to pay for the pattern :D

    ReplyDelete

i read EVERY SINGLE comment and i try to respond as best as possible, so check back if you've had a question or would just like to chat! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...